I am currently reading too many things, and I can’t finish a one. Some of them are harder to finish by myself, like my story time books with Michaela, but some of these are just plain old my fault. Also, Name of the Wind is a REALLY LONG AUDIOBOOK, OKAY?
Michaela and I are back with another Betwixt the Books Discuss! This one is all about prequel stories and novels, how you’re supposed to figure out the reading order kerfuffle they cause, and also I complain about the recent swath of YA prequel novellas coming out and whether they’re damaging the genre or not (specific references: Jodi Meadows’ Orphan Queen, Cassandra Clare, and Victoria Aveyard). Michaela also discusses the Hannibal book series and the Chronicles of Narnia.
Technically this was my Monday video, but I was really busy so I’m posting this late here. Please love me. Anyways, in honor of the release of Kresley Cole’s newest book, Arcana Rising, I wanted to talk about love triangles in YA that I actually didn’t hate. As you know, this is a very hard thing for me to admit, but it turns out that such love triangles DO exist in the world!
Okay, these are still late. But you know what, these exist. We’re wrapping up the last two weeks in a weird, timey-wimey video that shows that we really did try to have these out on time. The editing just never happened because Michaela and I are struggling to find a new rhythm in our new post-grad lives. Please love us while we fix this kinks!
Monday, May 23
Tuesday, May 24
Wednesday, May 25
- Michaela’s Review of Vision: Little Worse Than a Man
- Gretchen’s Worth It Wednesday: Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
Thursday, May 26
Friday, May 27
Monday, May 30
Tuesday, May 31
Wednesday, June 1
Friday, June 3
- Gretchen’s ARC Review of The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May
- Michaela’s Summer Reads Recommendations
Instead of a From the Notebook video, you get a wrap up a few days early! Even early, May was a MUCH better reading month to me than April. I’ve gone from 10/40 in the PopSugar Reading Challenge to 15/40 AND I’m almost halfway there in my Goodreads goal of reading 100 books this year. Go me!
Posts mentioned in video:
- April 2016 Wrap Up
- Review: A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
- From the Notebook: Why There’s No Love Triangle in ACoMaF
- Betwixt the Books Reviews: A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
- #imbibliomancy: Drunk Book Club with Death Vigil by Stjepan Sejic
- Review: Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
- Thesis Thursday: Big News that has Nothing to do with My Thesis
I am still really sick, so this review is a bit out of sorts BUT it’s really important to me because I did not expect to love this book as much as I did. I didn’t like the romantic plot line I thought was coming, but the emotional weight of the entire family dynamic made it a love and must read for me!
Hey guys! It’s that time again, when Michaela and I do some tags! We’ve been talking a lot recently about TBRs–and how bad we are at them. BUT, they are important and we have very long ones. This is my version of this tag, and Michaela’s will be out soon as well!
Posts Mentioned in the Video
- What Happened to my TBR
- Top 10 Series I Need to Finish
- Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
- Worth It Wednesdays: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
- My Epic Quest to See Cassandra Clare, Holly Black and Sarah Rees Brennan
- Ithaca College New Voices Literary Festival
- Review: Black City by Elizabeth Richards